This is our sitemap page. Click the links below to browse our site
- ‘Lucy, I’m home …’ or, the move to the new webhost worked
- ‘Speed writing’ may be the tip you need if you’re fighting writer’s block
- A little word fun: What are your favorite euphemisms?
- A pearl is a pearl is a pearl — do your research carefully
- Advice for new writers: Never forget the power of written words
- Affiliate marketer? You understand the need for holiday planning
- After a month or so, I’m not really in love with the new look for WordPress
- Ah, the drama and excitement of the writing lifestyle — or not
- All writers need deadlines to give focus to their work
- All you copywriters out there: Try my short writing assignment
- All you fiction writers — here’s a website you should go to right away
- Always fascinating — why do we give words so much power over us?
- Amazing story of family of 19 — not really related to writing, just found it amazing
- Any of you read Anne Lamott’s newest book yet?
- Any technical writers out there? Tell us about your career, what you do, what you don’t do
- Any travel writers out there? Anyone who writes travel guides? Care to share?
- Any writers out there in Las Vegas? Do you ever write in a casino?
- Anyone still making money with blogs through Adsense?
- Are you a researcher or a writer? Or are you both?
- Are you gearing up for the big â€˜NaNoWriMoâ€™ challenge? Sharpen those pencils
- Are you good at following directions? How about writing out directions?
- As a writer, do you ever think about how a word will SOUND when you use it?
- Back to the basics again: Get organized, schedule your time and writing wisely
- Basic principle: The only ‘shortcut’ to writing success is to write more
- Batty distractions hinder writing, if we let them
- Beware all you writers out there: Blogs and forums can steal a lot of your writing time
- Blogging: I am appealing to your spirit of teamwork — post your comments
- Can you invent your own words or language? Sure, why not?
- Care to share your ‘NaNoWriMo’ info so we can look for you there?
- ChaCha — another online income possibility for ambitious writers
- Changes in my work style seem to be helping with the arm
- Develop this television habit and your writing skills will never be in jeopardy
- Do all Russian novels take place on dark, chilly nights?
- Do online collection agencies need copywriters? I wonder
- Do words change their meaning? If so, how does meaning change?
- Do you do non-blog websites? Here’s something you might consider — WordPress
- Do you judge a word by its sound? Are some words inherently funny?
- Do you write best when there’s music, noise, or just silence?
- Do you write parodies? Share some tips about parody writing
- Does fear ever hinder your writing? How do you deal with fear?
- Does your word usage date you? Using archaisms in your writing
- Don’t ignore seasonal writing opportunities, seasonal deadlines
- Dusting off manuscript, reworking for Kindle publication
- Establish your writing priorities; restablish them when you stray
- Ever wonder when ‘teenage’ was first used by writers? You can find out
- Explaining more about the misuse of keywords on your website
- Far-fetched plot devices I love — hint: Sometimes they’re called ‘whirlybirds’
- Features of newest WordPress 2.6
- Fiction tip: If your characters are boring you and the action stalls — blow something up
- Fiction writers must stay on top of changing technology
- Fiction writers: For me, characters always come before plots
- Fiction writers: Which comes first — characters or plot?
- For beginners: Never relay one your spill checker
- For most, writing less is always harder than writing more
- For those of you with blogs or websites — do you know a good polling script?
- For you ad writers out there: Where do you draw the line between marketing and taking advantage of people?
- Forget your computer for now — how about writing with a pen?
- Formerly striking writers learning again the joys of deadlines
- Four tips to warm-up those ‘writing muscles’ in your head and fingers
- Getting excited about my new eBook for writers, several copies sold
- Getting more visitors to your old website content
- Good research, careful observation may uncover surprising story ideas
- Good writing is not technology, but technology may help
- Got that Lamott book from the library — I’ll give you a review when I’ve read it
- Government study projects 100% cure for anorexia in adults by 2048
- Greatest tool available for writers today — the Internet
- Guest post by Suzanne Lieurance: ‘ “Show Don’t Tell” — What Does That Really Mean?’
- Have I mentioned one of my most-used pieces of software? Great for writers, just about anyone
- Have some fun with your writing doing useful ‘warm-ups’
- Here it is, my number one ‘must have-must read’ book for writers
- Here’s a useful reference site for researchers, writers
- Here’s a wealth of research links especially useful for writers
- Here’s a writing tip that’s my personal favorite — creative napping
- Here’s how to get your blog listed and active in Yahoo’s RSS system
- Here’s my best tip to help you write fiction
- Hey, I suddenly find myself ‘working’ full-time again — not an easy step to take
- Homophones: Another obstacle for those who would learn English
- How do you come up with titles for your writing?
- How do you create your fictional characters? Here’s one approach
- How do you feel about adverbs? I advise using them sparingly
- How do you maintain a professional perspective on writing you don’t enjoy doing?
- How do you recognize when your writing simply isn’t working? How do you start over?
- How do you understand ‘integrity’ as it relates to your writing?
- How much detail is too much detail when you write a scene or describe a character?
- How much research is enough research before you start writing?
- How would you explain the difference between memoir and autobiography?
- How’s your summer? I’m working on some old book manuscripts myself
- I haven’t asked for awhile — what fun writing gigs have you found lately?
- I highly recommend you take a look at this Audie Murphy site
- I love a language site that starts off by berating ‘idiots’
- I’ve never paid much attention to ‘ergonomics,’ but I do now
- Idioms are fun but make language learning a real challenge
- If only it were up to me! I’d banish exclamation marks!!
- If you write content for the Internet, I’m sure you understand the term ‘SEO’
- If you write Internet content, you’ve probably heard all the fuss about ‘duplicate content’
- If you’re like me, then you’ve seen too much of then and not enough use of than
- Importance of ‘branding’ to sustain your writing career
- In love with acronyms — or, one way words are invented
- Internet resources are wonderful — but not always useful for your research needs as a writer
- Internet writing — look for ‘long tail keywords’ to draw web traffic
- Internet writing: My ‘quickie’ lesson for joining and posting in forums
- Is it a simile or is it a metaphor? Who remembers how to tell?
- It’s a cold, slow day here — how about some fun with words and word play?
- Itâ€™s almost â€˜NaNoWriMoâ€™ time again â€” are you up for the game?
- Just between you and me: multi-tasking gets harder with age
- Just discovered a helpful website about publishing and the law
- Keeping up with the news — do you read favorite newspaper websites?
- Key to successful online ad copy: Write something that draws targeted traffic
- Killing a writing project can be like murdering an old friend
- Learning how to schedule your time as a writer — daily deadlines
- McClellan’s ‘tell all’: Was his use of research materials somehow wrong?
- Memoirs revisited — what are your favorites?
- More about accuracy in writing: What color were Hitler’s eyes?
- More about anachronisms and the use of ‘literary license’
- More about deadlines: Don’t panic, just get to work one task at a time
- More about using keywords in your Internet writing
- More discussion about writing tools, techniques
- Most writers have a love of words, all sorts of words
- My apologies for overlooking one of the best ‘Useful Websites’ for writers
- My Western blog project has been reborn — have a look, but be gentle
- Never put off till tomorrow what you can write today
- Never underestimate the power of well-written ad copy
- New digital self-publishing explodes options for all writers
- Non-writing techniques to help you find and develop story ideas
- Not sure how to spell ‘copy editor,’ but I was one and here’s some of what they do …
- Number one rule for dealing with issues related to writing style — consistency
- Odd brand name? Unusual jargon? Obscure ‘bureaucratize’? Somewhere a writer is responsible
- Odd phrases people search for on the Internet
- Okay, all you writers out there, listen up — I’m getting irritated more THAN you know
- Old advice, but still good advice: To be a writer, you must write
- One of my ‘pet peeves’ — words that have been ruined for us
- One of the great writers of our time, Michael Crichton, has died at 66
- One of the joys of writing these days: Your office can be almost anywhere
- One of the NOT so joyous parts of freelancing — health insurance is tough
- One person’s tools may be another’s ‘toys’ — how do you relax, recover from writing sessions?
- Organization, self-discipline win the day for writers — or do they?
- Personal Note: It REALLY rained where we live — everyone out there okay?
- Personal Note: My blogging days may become much more limited — ‘real life’ is rearing its ugly head
- Polls, poles, and polling — more challenges for those learning English
- Practice helps your writing craft, writing skills grow
- Published a book? ‘Self-published’ perhaps? Tell us about your experience
- Published my first Kindle ebook for writers: 200 Original Story Prompts
- Question for you historical writers out there: What’s your favorite period of history?
- Regarding text editors — this is a favorite when not working online
- Religious writers really need to get a copy of this book by Philip Yancey
- Remember that copywriting ‘assignment’? Here’s what I would do …
- Repeating a writing tip I gave you some weeks ago: Make ‘wikipedia’ one of your regular online friends
- Second excerpt of Western novel — comments, please?
- Shades of Stephen Hunter — real-life snipers end pirate crisis
- Sites to avoid if you want to make money writing for the Internet
- Some fun with words: Pod people living in our neighborhood
- Some thoughts about fictionalizing real-life public figures
- Speaking of copy writing — I’ve always found putting new ‘spins’ on old products a tough job
- Specialized forms of writing take special skills
- Strive for direct writing, economy of language
- Targeting ‘benefits’ instead of features when you write ad copy
- Tell us about some of the difficult writing assignments you’ve had to do
- The difficulty of living in the ‘in-between’ world of freelance writers
- The power of words and their meaning shape our perceptions
- The real value of those notebooks, notecards, and random scraps of paper
- The word for today is ‘verisimilitude’ — really, it is
- Then there are words with wide ranges of meaning — I’m talking about connotations
- This seems to be my day for lame analogies — in this case, think about dictionaries
- This sometimes works for me when I’m stuck about what to write next
- Three tips for using the Internet as an ‘always open library’ for your writing research
- Tips for fiction writers, plus some free writing resources
- Tips for short story writing: Up to a challenge? Pull out your keyboard and give it a shot
- Tips for writing humor: Aw, go ahead and write a ‘Shaggy Dog Story’ if you wish
- Tips for writing humor: Focus on elements of absurdity
- Tips for writing short stories — Focus on a single character
- Tips for writing short stories — Hooks: What are they and how do you use them?
- Tips for writing short stories: ‘Short’ is the key word
- Tips for writing short stories: Focus on a single action or event
- Today’s tip for writers: Pay attention to details in your writing
- Transcribing and captioning — specialized writing skills that don’t get enough credit
- Transcription, a very different sort of writing skill, may help you write dialog
- Try to use targeted keywords in the name of your blog or website
- Two basic online tools every writer needs to utilize
- Two important tips for making money writing for the Internet
- Two important tips for new writers
- Unemployed or self-employed? How do you see yourself? Does it matter?
- Useful tips for using AdSense on your website
- Watch those ‘little words’ — prepositions pack a powerful punch
- Western novel excerpts revisited — how I got the idea, what I’m doing with it
- What ‘day jobs’ produce the best conditions for writers?
- What are some English language errors that make you cringe?
- What are your best writing tools? Have you upgraded lately?
- What do water filters, air filters have to do with organizing your story?
- What makes humor funny? Share your tips for humor writing
- What’s in a nickname? Do you use a pen name or have a nickname?
- What’s the most interesting writing job you’ve ever held?
- What’s your ‘fog index’ — and how does that matter in your writing?
- What’s your favorite writing method? Longhand or computer? What music helps you write?
- What’s your favorite writing software for text files?
- When did it become so common to ‘put your [fill in the blank] on steroids’?
- When it comes to computers — backup, backup, backup
- When politicians redefine the language we all suffer the consequences
- When you write, always be aware of the need for details, clarity
- Where did those words come from? Why did you choose them?
- Where do you do your writing and how do you do it?
- Where do you find your writing ideas?
- Which domain name should you buy for your writing site?
- Which expression do you prefer — ‘adult diaper’ or ‘adult incontinence product’?
- Winter challenges writers to be prepared for weather, power woes
- Wow, where have I been for the last few days? Spring catching up with me, I guess
- Writers must love, or learn to love, language if they are to write well
- Writers’ personality issues — booze, tobacco, drugs, and creativity
- Writing demands that you sell yourself by showing ‘benefits’
- Writing for the Internet is indeed a fragile proposition
- Writing Historical Fiction Part 1: How much research is enough?
- Writing Historical Fiction Part 2: Finding story ideas is one benefit of doing historical research
- Writing Historical Fiction Part 3: Good sources are everywhere
- Writing or just playing around with the tools, toolbox?
- Writing seasonal stories? Deadlines make this whatever season you need it to be
- Writing tip: Quick way to write quality article for your blog or website
- Yes indeed, sticks and stones hurt — but so can your words
- You can make money writing for one of the biggest Internet sites — and it’s probably not what you think
- You can’t have politics without language hijinks, can you? Beware of political double-talk
- You want a tremendously useful writing tool? Find yourself an AlphaSmart ‘Neo’
TagsAdvice for New Writers
, blogging tips
, courageous writing
, creative writing
, digital publishing
, get more readers
, ideas for blogging
, indie publishing
, Internet Writing
, novel writing
, online writing
, preposition usage
, research site
, story ideas
, story prompts
, useful website
, website traffic
, write daily
, writing environment
, writing resources
, Writing Tips
, writing tools
, writing warm-ups